"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Monday, May 9, 2011

the window

Reality television is lame.  Because it's not reality.  Yes... it's intensely sociological, and has many psychological dimensions.  But it serves more as a commentary on the human condition than a depiction of reality.  However, anyone can decry the evils and inaccuracies of reality television.  Instead, I found a kind of reality television to love... the kitchen window at Angelle's place.

The Window looks out on the farm-yard, and I could sit and watch the animals for hours.  There's a year-old holstein calf and a sheep that are the bestest of friends and play like two puppies... jumping over things, posturing at each other, jumping and dancing, etc.  Very reminiscent of The Fox and the Hound, though even more bizarre because they belong to fairly different classes in the animal kingdom.  Then there are the geese who believe that every four-wheeled object on the yard is a threat.  When people drive into the farmyard, they chase the cars and hiss, pecking at the vehicle if they can get close enough.  Yesterday, they tried to barricade me in my vehicle - stood guard at my door, hissing and cackling.  I tapped the horn, and they attacked the car.  I think it was an attempt at an exorcism, as they looked suspiciously at the vehicle for long minutes before coming back over to the drivers door to stare at me through the window as I laughed at their antics.  They're also nosy little buggers, and I recently spotted them sticking their noses where they ought not... following at a distance of 6-12 inches - closely inspecting the activity of two copulating mallard ducks.  I think the mallards were doing a sex-ed demo for the rest of the barnyard's bird-like population.  The horny little mallard duck then proceeded to engage in the same routine with two other female ducks, much to the fascination of the geese who continued to follow at close range.  I call the mallard Solomon.  His harem usually waddles out in front, with the geese trailing behind.  Spring fever is going around, I think.  Then there are the two shitzus that compete with the geese for being the most belligerent when vehicles enter the farmyard.  One growls at everything, and the other dances with delight whenever someone pays any attention at all.  Golden retriever puppies, four goats that try to climb the fence on a regular basis, kittens, a llama, chickens and a rooster that announces his dominance on a regular basis, and a variety of ponies rounds out the farmyard milieu.  The biggest goat currently has tufts of llama fur waving on the end of its horns - waving in the breeze like flags on twin flagpoles.  I missed the incident wherein the llama got speared, but it's pretty evident that the two are not on speaking terms right now.  A pity, because they are usually pretty tight.
I like the kitchen window.  Now you know why.

1 comment:

kerry said...

I have had lots of moose sightings lately. Not the same thing, I know, but moose sightings make me happy.