"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Sunday, May 22, 2011

A reflection on vulnerability, healing, and hurt

God who created my heart 
With a hunger for relationship,
Feed me.
Give me humility and honesty
     To admit the depth of my desire.
Give me wisdom
     To know friend from foe
     And to give generously of myself to both,
     While guarding my heart 
     Which you entrusted to me.
Give me courage
     To risk relationship
     And sometimes, to draw a line in the sand.
Give me a generous love
     As you gave me your extravagant love
     To make relationship transformative
     Instead of self-serving.

Father of all,
Give us an appetite for the real deal
     So we may systematically spurn substitutes.
Give us wholeness
     As in our impetuousness and fragility
     We mangle each others' hearts.
Shape us instead into agents of your healing,
     As we - made in your image - overflow
     From an abundance of your crazy love,
Giving all the credit to you
     As you create butterfly transformations
     In our caterpillar lives.

credits: photo from the blog of Heidi Cassadas