"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hooked on Phonics? or Facebook?

I've been thinking for a while about the ways in which I use social media, and the filter-down ways in which our collective use of social media affects us.  Watch this.
We all know about cyber-bullying by now, but what about the presence of bigger bullies? Sharks instead of puny siamese fighting fish. I liked the writer's use of Maslow's hierarchy of needs in his discussion of people's internet use (beginning at 8:15).

Moment of honesty... When I'm using Facebook, what level on Maslow's hierarchy am I trying to meet? Honestly? Not often self-actualization. Not often in pursuit of social justice for others. I'm most often chatting with friends. Code for: Trying to meet the universal human need for belonging and esteem from others.  And this is how it works...
We all seek belonging. It's normal, healthy, and inescapable. The real question is to what extent social media facilitates meaningful relationship. After an hour on Facebook... do we feel soul-filled? or do we long for better connections? What about after an hour of chatting over coffee with a friend? What are the most effective ways of fostering connection between one person and another.

Some may argue for the value of Facebook and other social media (like this blog), and my desire is not to entirely negate this. However, I am arguing that social media has LIMITED value in forging meaningful (soul-filling) interpersonal connections. Perhaps social media (Facebook and Twitter being prominent among them) is the candy of social connections; it spikes the blood sugar but doesn't offer any real nutritional value. We're kidding ourselves if we think that social media provides a balanced social diet. Time spent using social media should be monitored much in the same way we monitor our fast food intake. We fear that it would make us feel disconnected from 'the rest of the world'. And yes... abstaining may feel like a strict diet or a radical cleanse until we learn new patterns of connecting. Social media connects people - yes! I question, however, the quality of the connection.

Possible action points:
  1. We need to grow in honesty with ourselves about our motives for using social media. Disengage from social media to the extent that you need to in order to connect and belong in relationally healthy ways. Keep in mind that Facebook unleashes the cyber-equivalent of candy cravings - just because you really want it doesn't mean you need it, nor that it's healthy for you.
  2. We need to critically appraise what we see. Identify the worldview from which the material is presented, with its assumptions, biases, and/or agendas. Identify the ways in which media affects our ways of thinking and behaving.
  3. Lastly, we need to intentionally, actively and deliberately engage social media to foster positive social change. While the definition of "positive" may be debated, what matters is that social media become a forum for discussion instead of a feel-good warm-fuzzy 'I heart you' kind of tool. Use social media as a platform from which meaningful dialogue about important social concerns may occur. There are inherent problems with this concept. For a graphic demonstration, go to yahoo.ca and read the comment section under a news article about the Middle East. The anonymity afforded by the internet (albeit a somewhat false sense of anonymity) leads us to say and do things that we would not say or do if we were in face to face dialogue. Online "community" is more distanced than real community, and with this distance comes an overall decline in respect because Osama bin Laden's widows are not sitting across the table from me where I can see etched on their faces the sum total of their grief, fear, trauma, and whatever other emotions they are currently experiencing.
Social media needs to be used compassionately and empathetically in pursuit of social justice; social media is a voice - if we use it. Social media needs to be used self-reflexively, being aware of and honest about the ways social media affects us. Social media needs to be used secondarily to other means of meeting our human need for relationship.
On that note... I'm going to head down to the Forks to have coffee with a friend. I am also toying with the idea of disabling my FB account entirely, though I will likely settle for a five minutes a day rule. I don't know... it all feels so uncomfortably non-conformist.

I must give credit to Meghan and Freda for giving me a head-start on this by sharing their thoughts.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Noooo don't do it! I understand what you mean (mostly anyway...you use really big words!)...but facebook is still a good way to stay connected with people that you CAN'T go & have coffee with. It allows us to stay connecte in day to day life so that when we are able to see each other again we can pick up where we left off & not feel like strangers! I love you sister...& I know we would stay in touch other ways too, but I still think you should stay. During lent I limitted myself to 20 min once in the evening. It was amazing how often I didn't even think about it the rest of the day. I could still stay in touch with everyone, but didn't feel the constant tug to check up on everyone. I would highly recommend that over quitting entirely:)

Jenni said...

At this point, i'm planning to keep my facebook account, but will be making some changes. the 'feeling like strangers' when people actually connect in person is exactly my point. sometimes fb is used for meaningful conversation (aka a lot of my message threads), and sometimes is used to help people to connect (aka event invites), but a lot of the time it just gives me a sense that i'm connected (via their status updates, photos, comments on photos) without actually being connected to them (ie: the way i would be if i picked up the phone and called them or made a coffee date). a false familiarity, which doesn't actually feed our need to be connected as human beings.

So question... it sounds like what you did during lent worked well for you. what keeps you from following the same routine all the time instead of only during lent?

love you too, sister!
-J

Jenni said...

I just can't write something this scathing (and believe it) without doing something about it.

Heidi said...

Good question:) There are 2 main reasons...but I don't think those are an excuse. After Easter I wanted to continue doing something similar & just adjust it a little. The biggest reason I haven't: not taking the time to figure it out....which is all my own fault. Maybe now I'll do it:)

The 2 reasons:
1) People from around here often (depending on the time/events going on) use facebook to get ahold of me if they need something right away. When I only checked once in the evening I missed a few of those things.

2) I didn't have enough time to keep up with pictures unless I spent a lot longer on there on Sundays (a day off during lent) which I didn't like.

I think what I want to do is set a number of times I'm going to go on during a day...say 3 times...morning, noon, night so that I can get any info I may need...but at the same time stop myself from constantly checking in. The first 2 times would be 3 minutes or less...and then in the evening I'd take a little more time to see how people are doing, look at pictures, etc.

Sorry I'm so long winded...I'm done now:)

Jenni said...

I think the most important thing that I want to accomplish for myself is to be aware, and to make decisions intentionally instead of going with the flow, so I appreciate your thoughts.

Did you watch the second video? I found him fascinating, but I know he references a few things that I wonder if people will understand if they aren't familiar with a little bit of social science research/terminology.

Heidi said...

Complete honesty: I didn't watch either video. I was going to, but when I saw the length of the 2...well, I just didn't have 20 minutes to sit & watch them...sorry. I was going by what you said. Love you!

Jenni said...

no probs. just wondered. if you sometime have time for only one of them, i think the second one is the more applicable to our discussion. the first is more theoretical and global... the second more practical and individual. welcome to my sociology-brain. :)