"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dear Self (part of the ongoing conversation)

Dear Self,
All the best things in life involve risk. You and I both know that. We both knew that moving to Manitoba had some inherent risks.  I know risk tends to involve some element of stress, but it need not lead to inevitable anxiety. What's the difference, you ask? Self, I'm glad you asked. A couple dictionary definitions should suffice:
Stress (noun) - pressure or tension exerted on a material object OR a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances OR something that causes such a state : the stresses and strains of life.  
Anxiety (noun) - a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome : he felt a surge of anxiety.

My point is simple. Stress is an external reality to which you may choose to respond proactively. Anxiety is a reactive emotional state under whose tyranny you choose to remain a victim. Stress can produce positive results. Anxiety never does. Stress was the moment you discovered that you'll need to return to Alberta to obtain a criminal record check if you also need a vulnerable sector check. Anxiety was the unproductive emotional tizzy to which you succumbed for the next hour. Respond to the stress and manage the risks, Jenni-dear.  Take a deep breath and deal with the situations.
Yours (always and truly),
Me

PS - I'm sorry... I know you hate being patronized, so forgive my condescending tone in this note. I really think you're doing quite well and believe it's all going to work out just fine.
And PPS - I know you smiled really nicely for the woman behind the counter, asked appropriate questions, expressed your understanding of the purpose behind the policy, and thanked her for her time and help before leaving the building without a fuss, but I heard your internal "F-ing RCMP policy that requires I either change all my ID over to an address I don't have or drive fifteen hours to get a damn piece of paper!" It was almost audible. I don't blame you. In hindsight, I'm kind of wondering why you didn't at least vent it that way once you were in the relative privacy of your car. You're allowed to feel frustrated; just don't stay there.

No comments: