"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday morning

Warm spring sunshine streaming through the windows, warm enough to open the windows and let the fresh spring air flow through.
A berry and banana smoothie, filled out with hemp protein and greens powder, acai, pomegranate, and blueberry juice, and rice milk (my mom calls me healthy; my dad calls me "a health food store kind of person"... which he translates to mean "hippie" and "endearingly weird" in equal proportions - I think it's a compliment).
My journal and a Bible.
My grandma's old polyester patchwork picnic blankets layered out on the deck.
15 degrees Celcius (the thermometer reads 35 degrees, but that's because it's basking in the sun like I am).
Podcast  of a sweet sermon series (from Oregon... another place I'd also love to be).
Samgee the golden retriever lounging in the sun beside me, occasionally perking up his ears at the birds that flit about the feeder and land on the barbecue beside us, or bringing his soggy orange ball to be thrown again into the snow that still thickly blankets the back yard.
The remnants of my dad's current renovation strewn about the deck around me, reminding me of his love for restoring, redeeming, renewing things that are old, stagnant, or broken.
A beautiful Sunday morning.
Missing: community.  Missing: the motivation to seek out and sink my roots into a genuine Christian community.  Still hanging on: the longing to be connected.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not ditching church.  It's just that sometimes solitude is more soul-filling than singing.  And sometimes, regardless of my perceived desire for solitude, God desires me to seek to be connected and I choose solitude for the ease and simple pleasure of it.  Anyone brave enough to hold me accountable to that when I return to the place I don't yet feel comfortable calling home in the snowy land east in Manitoba?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Manda wanted to call you & ask why you didn't go to church..."she said she was going to go to church". I got you off the hook for now, but have an answer ready when we come:) Glad you could have a quiet morning. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty much perfect.. Miss you already!