"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Wednesday, September 5, 2012

a framework for how I think about Rwanda

Beeeeeautiful!
Although my feet are planted back on Canadian soil, my head is still reeling - perhaps because I promptly uprooted again and moved up to Peace River, Alberta only a day after landing in Calgary. So thank you for your patience in waiting for a final report about the time I had the privilege of spending in Rwanda (with the team from Providence) and Kenya (flying solo).

First off... let's play a quick word association game. Which of the two words that follow stick out to you when you think "Rwanda"?
Gorillas                      Genocide

If you answered genocide, then you're in good company - most people would agree with you. In 1994, the people of Rwanda experienced a genocide which saw approximately one million people killed by their government, friends, neighbours, and even family members inside of 100 days. However, if you were to stand on a street-corner in Kigali and ask Rwandese passers-by to comment on the same question, you would quickly find that the Rwandese people are tired of having their national identity defined by the events of 1994. Wouldn't you if you were in their shoes?

I hope to share about my time in Rwanda in a way that honours their desire.  People deserve to be known for their strengths and resilience as much as for their pain and brokenness.  I too am both strong and broken.
Giving and receiving are inseparable.  This young woman learned to sew from this hope-giving ministry, and now sews quilts and bags to contribute to the ministry.

For this reason, you will more often hear me talk about "walking alongside" people than "helping" them.  And I am more likely to reference things that I learned from the Rwandese people than I am to talk about what I think I was able to contribute.  Although I was the one to travel across the Atlantic to spend June in Africa, and although I went with something special to contribute... still we stand on equal footing. 
A new friend at the market.  You should see the fabrics we picked out together. 

1 comment: