"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Friday, December 31, 2010

Of Birds and Reptiles

I hung out at Red Deer Reptiles with B for a while today.  Giant (uncaged) macaw hated my guts... screamed and postured at me just because it knew I found it intimidating.  Snakes make me creepy crawly inside.  I'm quite sure that the big boa was large enough to swallow me whole.  And the variety of other assorted reptiles - skinks, bearded dragons, monitors, etc. - were impressive, but still make my chest a little bit tight with anxiety.  But there were two little guys that caught my attention...

I always had pet chameleons in Africa.  I had a theory that they would eat the mosquitoes in my bedroom so I wouldn't get malaria.  Four rounds of malaria later, I now know how wrong I was, but I still loved the little buggers with their beady eyes, speedy tongue, bad balance, and tri-toed slow-motion dance.  Two chameleons, much like the ones I grew up with, were for sale in the shop.  I've been saying recently that I'd like to get a dog and a house... you know - grow roots and stay somewhere.  I might have to edit the dream: a chameleon and a house.  Tell me they aren't the cutest little things on the planet... 

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Did you buy them??? I would love to have some as pets!!!

Jenni said...

They're like 160 apiece... will have to wait until I get a house where I can have chameleons.

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i'm confused...were you wrong about chameleons eating mosquitoes or that they could prevent you from getting malaria...

we know of those is definitely wrong..but do they really eat mosquitos...if this is true...then i wonder how koda would feel about getting a pet chameleon...perhaps they would cuddle like kit and koda...

and if you settle down and still long for a dog...you could rent mine once and a while to stave off that part of the dream...just as long as i get him back.