"Bless the moment... and the years will be their own blessing. Many of us
live life in a rush because it allows us to believe we are going somewhere."
-Jacob the Baker-


Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jalike one small kid...

Da peopo wen bring dea small kids by Jesus, cuz dey like fo him put his hands on top dea heads an pray fo dem.  Wen Jesus guys see dat, dey wen scold da peopo cuz dey wen do dat.  But Jesus tell da kids fo come, and he say, "Let da small kids come by me, an no stop dem, cuz da peopo dat get God fo dea King, inside demself dey jalike dese kids.  Dass right!  An I like tell you guys dis too: Whoeva no take God fo be his King jalike one small kid, he no can get God fo his King."
Luke 18:15-17
(Da Jesus Book - Hawaii Pidgin New Testament)

Don't get me wrong... I love school.  I like learning.  I get a thrill out of batting around ideas in class or with my profs.  I delight in the process of drafting and word-smithing until I know my essays communicate my thoughts clearly.  I dread tests, but who doesn't?  Sometimes, however, I feel like I'd learn more if I spent my years contemplating just one or two ideas... internalizing them... learning what it means to live them in practice... soaking up the wisdom of people who have walked this way... resting in the knowledge that there is absolutely nothing of worth that I can offer to my God except a trusting, childlike heart.  And maybe learning to speak Hawaii Pidgin.  Sometimes I'd like to ditch school altogether and head off to Bangladesh to hang out with the kids in this picture.  But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the purpose in this season, and asking God for a renovation/addition to be put into the development plan for my short- and long-term memory that I may better retain (and hopefully apply) excessive quantities of information.  By the way... if you stumbled your way through that paragraph, congrats!  Go back and read it again out loud.  The effect is incredible - if you're good at it - and quality entertainment for bystanders either way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of Krio (Sierra Leone)!

~Joi :)

Jenni said...

since when do you spell your name Joi instead of Joey? Melissa... I blame you.

Anonymous said...

Still use both here and there. You're both to blame :)